A few months ago I began developing an intentional plan to eradicate childhood obesity. As a member of Jon Acuff’s first ever, Start Experiment, I was asked to identify a risk. I almost played it safe but I was feeling froggy that particular day and decided to just do away with the #1 health crisis in the world today, obesity.
This is the point where I could lay out a bunch of data on why this is such a problem but, if you’re really curious, I encourage you to do a bit of research both online and by simply walking around in public. I’m not talking about a vanity crisis, I talking about a Health Epidemic!
3 main factors led me to identify this as the risk I wanted to tackle:
– I grew up in a time when my television was filled with graphic images of swollen-bellied children who were starving. I learned recently that there are now more obese people on the planet than starving. Both break my heart but one of those is efficiently claiming my friends lives even as I type this.
– I learned that my county, (Polk County, Florida) is ranked 7th in the nation for childhood obesity. As a former youth pastor & 15 year veteran of the school system I am compelled to serve children. Read the rest of this entry
20 Days ago I embarked on a 24 day challenge called the Start Experiment. I set a goal:
My risk: Identify a child in my area who is struggling with obesity and is willing to take action towards better health. I will also identify a personal trainer & a nutritionist who are willing to walk alongside this child (family) for 90 days. Pretty simple.
Each day at 5am I’ve been getting an email from Jon Acuff with a very brief & doable task to help me in getting my risk accomplished. I realized this morning, however, that I’ve taken my eyes off of my risk and had my gaze shifted towards getting each daily assignment finished instead. Have you ever done that?
I had sacrificed the important on the altar of the urgent.
Here’s a quick exercise I encourage you to do if you feel like you’re not making progress toward whatever your goal is.
1.Write your goal down
2. Break it down into segments
3. Set a deadline
4. Make it Public
5. Take 1 Deliberate step EVERY day:
A rule of my life is to never challenge others with what I’m not willing to do myself. Here is my Plan with only 4 days left:
1.WRITE YOUR GOAL DOWN:
-Help a child struggling with childhood obesity over the next 90 days.
2. BREAK IT DOWN INTO SEGMENTS-
– Speak to the personal trainer
-Contact the child/family I’ve selected
-Set up a first meeting with me, the nutritionist, the personal trainer & the family of the child.
3. SET A DEADLINE:
-Wednesday, August 7th, 2013
4. MAKE IT PUBLIC:
-Um…thanks for reading my blog LOL
5. TAKE 1 DELIBERATE STEP EVERY DAY:
-Call a few personal trainers to see if & how they are willing to participate.
Friends, don’t beat yourself up 1 minute longer. I encourage you to take deliberate action towards making your dream a reality today by applying the 5 steps above.
Together, we will change the world!!!
What’s your risk? Share it below and go public today!!